Fair Trade Gloves and Mittens from Huancavelica!

Fair Trade Gloves and Mittens from Huancavelica!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My brand new barbie lunch box....

is actually a hand me down from my little Peruvian sister, who has three.

I feel more "American", a term I am using loosely and to mean a person from the US, now that I am in Peru. Not because I miss things like TV, but because I am surrounded by them. Every bedroom in my house has a TV. I guess I am kind of amazed that they care more about Latin American Idol than having warm water for a shower. The contrast of what I was expecting and what actually is, is so far in the wrong direction I am having a hard time comprehending it.

During YAV training we talked about globalization....and I have always thought about globalization on a larger economic scale, not a personal one. It is interesting to me how globalization affects the everyday life of people around the world.


Just one thought for today.



-katie

No comments: